When selecting a candidate, which is more important: potential or experience?
How would you respond to this question?
While both weigh in with great importance, you may be surprised to discover which one tips the scales.
It can be hard to choose between a candidate’s experience and the potential they display, but choosing one is essential.
Hiring a candidate with a certain skill or experience tells us they have an ample level of expertise which has been acquired over months or years of practice. Candidates with adequate experience can bring great value to an organization.
Potential means “having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something great in the future.” If a candidate displays potential but lacks certain experience, they may be considered high risk and passed over by certain employers.
Candidates who display strong potential have been known to achieve greater success and do so with above-average performance. How can you quickly spot a candidate with potential? They won’t be easily located if you are merely checking off boxes of skill level and experience. They will, however, have a proven track record and display a pattern consistent of an overachiever.
Signs of an overachiever:
- They do more with less by learning what is needed to reach the goal.
- A person who has accomplished the most with lesser skills and experience.
- They have achieved many rewards, raises, special bonuses, kudos, awards and recognition
- A continuous track record of excellent performance while facing challenging situations.
- Someone who will get great results regardless of the circumstances.
- They were referred, rehired or recruited instead of applying for a job at their previous employment
- A person who is committed to delivering quality results and working to consistently improve.
- They are consistently in the top 20-25% of whatever they do
It’s not difficult to see the value in overachievers, even if they don’t have a lot of experience.
Food for thought: Experience tells you there’s a right way to do something. It’s important to ensure the right way is the best way.
Account Manager (Houston office)
The Global Edge Consultants
The Global Edge Consultants is a full service firm specializing in the recruitment of technical and project personnel for industries such as Government, Oil and Gas, Petrochemical, Chemical, Engineering, Power, Nuclear and Manufacturing. Check out our careers page!