This quarter’s safety tip is focused on laptop fire safety and prevention. If you like to use your laptop around the home, or know someone who does, there are a few safety measures you can take to ensure a safer experience.
5 tips to avoid an overheating laptop:
- Always use your laptop on a hard, flat surface. A laptop can run hot under the hood, and that heat needs a place to escape. Never block the air vents on the back or sides of the portable computer. Those vents can become easily blocked if the laptop is kept on a soft surface, such as a bed, pillow, blanket or sofa. Try using a chill pad/cooler specifically designed for laptops.
- Periodically check out the laptop’s air vents to ensure there is not dust or debris blocking the ventilation. Dust and lint can contribute to the laptop overheating. Avoid placing the laptop on surfaces where dirt, dust or lint is present. You should also spray compressed air through the laptop air vents to loosen debris that has been sucked up through the fan.
- Set your laptop’s power settings to go in to sleep mode or power down after a few minutes of inactivity. This reduces the chances of something happening if the laptop if left unattended for a long period of time. Another tip is to use the laptop’s battery instead of AC power so that it will turn off eventually if left on accidentally.
- Check the manufacturer’s website for potential battery recalls. A damaged or faulty battery has a high potential to start a fire. In some cases, you can sign up for email newsletters for this information, but it’s always a good idea to take a look for yourself and see if there is any related news or updates available.
- Make sure the computer power cord is not damaged. It can emit small electrical sparks that can start a fire. If damaged, unplug the power cord immediately and replace it as soon as possible.
In case of a battery or electrical fire, DO NOT USE WATER! Use either class ABC multipurpose (dry chemical) extinguisher or a Class BC carbon dioxide extinguisher.
The Global Edge Consultants is a full service firm specializing in the recruitment of technical and project personnel for industries such as Government, Oil and Gas, Petrochemical, Chemical, Engineering, Power, Nuclear and Manufacturing. Check out our careers page!