In light of the recent storms that hit the east coast of the United States (Hurricane Sandy), this quarter’s safety trips will focus on the winter weather and how we can prepare for the worst.
Consider the following precautions:
- Pay close attention to the media outlets – weather warnings are often provided through television news stations, local/national radio and via newspapers.
- Bring pets inside during the winter season. Move livestock to sheltered areas and make sure their access to food and water is not blocked by ice or snow drifts.
- Avoid driving when conditions are hazardous. If travel is necessary, inform friends/family where you are going and for how long.
- Make sure your vehicle has a full tank of gas. A full tank will keep the fuel line from freezing.
- Keep water running in the house – it will help prevent the pipes from freezing over.
- If you have a thermostat try to make sure you maintain the same temperature both during the day and at night (no lower than 55°F) . By doing this you are less likely to incur larger heating bills and it may stop the pipes from freezing over.
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or any other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices anywhere inside the home. Using these devices indoors can and will increase the level of carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide kills.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent loss of body heat.
- Walk carefully on snowy, icy, walkways.
For prolonged periods of dangerous winter weather make sure you put together a ‘supply kit’. The supply kit includes:
- Water/Food – at least a 3 day supply
- First aid kit
- Baby supplies
- Pet supplies
- Cell phones with chargers
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Extra cash
- Warm coats, gloves, hats and blankets
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio
The Global Edge Consultants is a full service firm specializing in the recruitment of technical and project personnel for industries such as Government, Oil and Gas, Petrochemical, Chemical, Engineering, Power, Nuclear and Manufacturing. Check out our careers page!